I think everyone has heard the phrase, “if you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.” This is the case for so many things when it comes to taking care of yourself and your family. Of course we always recommend that you plan your workouts at least a week in advance so your more likely to show up for yourself, but it’s also very important to plan ahead with your meals each week. Not only will this help keep you on track with your nutrition but it will save you money, time and help reduce stress.
We suggest you start out by making a plan for what you would like to prepare for the week and making your grocery list according to that plan. Setting aside a couple of hours every Sunday to prep for the week makes a huge difference when it comes to time and money savings. You will be far less likely to pick up fast food on your lunch break or order take-out for supper if you already have something prepared.
Here are a few tips to help get you started on weekly meal prep:
1. Always head to the grocery store with a list in hand and avoid shopping when you’re hungry
2. Batch cook large quantities of food to purpose in a variety of ways throughout the week
3. Invest in good quality storage containers that are easily stacked in your fridge or freezer
4. Pre-portion your meals into individual containers to make it easier to grab and go
5. Wash & prep fruits and veggies right away so they are easy to grab for snacks
6. Utilize your crock pot and pressure cooker if you don’t have the time to stand over a stove or if you want to prepare several things at once
7. Vary your menu to avoid boredom
8. Track and record your favourite meals and recipes so you can refer to them again. Pinterest is a great tool to keep track of recipes
9. Consistently make time so that it becomes part of your routine
10. Make it enjoyable! You’re far more likely to stick to a habit if it’s something you enjoy doing. Rather than thinking of it as a chore, try to mentally reframe it as a form of self-care
Make your health a priority and we promise it will change your life!